1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,639 posts
  • LocationTygart River, West Virginia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

While we're waiting for football season to start again...

https://youtu.be/0w9SqrUzUn8

#2 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,639 posts
  • LocationTygart River, West Virginia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

Quote:

"First and foremost you have to be able to stop the run. That gets down to the physicality of being able to be tough, being able to do whatever you have to do to stop the run. As I say....you can lose games guys can out score you, but when guys pound you it's a different kind of beating. You can lose on the scoreboard sometimes to skill guys who score points and that's great. When you lose to them when they pound it, you can lose your football team. You have to have a toughness; you have to have the ability to STOP the run. I don't care if it 3x4, 4x3, 8 man front, whatever ...you've got to be able to stop the run."

"Second, how am I going to affect the other team's QB. I don't care who you are (lists pro qb's) when you start getting hit it changes things. Any quarterback, when you can apply pressure to him, and you can hit him...you're not always sacking him, but you can legally lay the wood to him somehow that affects him standing in that pocket...first time he may get ya, second time he may get ya, that third time he goin' ta start flinching."

Defense is more important than offense.
- Put the best athletes on defense, unless they've got very special scoring talent

Most Critical Defense Players
1) D-Line
2) Corners

Defense priorities
1) Stop the run
2) Affect the QB (take away good decisions and accuracy)
- Hitting and pressuring
- Change coverages
3) Create turn-overs
- pressure QB (see above)
- wrapup fundamental tackling allows for stripping the ball
4) Get off the field on 3rd down
5) Good red-zone defense
- Drill everyday
6) Handle no-huddle fast offense
- practice getting personnel and calls in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users