2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,639 posts
  • LocationTygart River, West Virginia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

I think the most wild one of the committed will be Houston (Texas) Lamar Top247 defensive tackle Bobby Brown, who committed to the Aggies in October but kept the lines of communication open with the likes of Oklahoma and Alabama. He decommitted from A&M on Dec. 20 and pulled the trigger for the Crimson Tide two days later.

Brown could have signed, but he didn’t. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t a few more twists and turns with the coveted Lone Star State recruit who ranks as the nation’s No. 13 defensive tackle per 247Sports.

When Top247 linebacker DaShaun White committed to Texas A&M in October, the Aggies narrowly edged out Oklahoma, which was able to get the North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland standout back to campus in the fall for an official visit where the tide seemed to turn towards the Sooners. Kevin Sumlin being fired helped OU even more but Jimbo Fisher has steadied the waters some for A&M, and the two programs will continue to battle for the U.S. Army All-American. I’m hearing Oklahoma may still have the edge in this one,but this is far from over.

Alabama has had Top247 linebacker Quay Walker in the fold since June, but Auburn and Georgia are two programs that continue to catch the Cordele (Ga.) Crisp County standout’s eye. Tennessee is going to try and make a push too. I’m guessing Walker sticks with the Tide, but this will be one to watch.

Auburn has the attention of Florida’s Top247 offensive tackle commit Richard Gouraige. He visited twice in the fall and has an official visit coming up in January. The Gators also had Gouraige on campus for a recent unofficial and have the official still in play. The Tampa (Fla.) Cambridge Christian standout committed to UF in October, and I think he ultimately sticks. But the Tigers have made this one very interesting. Clemson could be a player too.

Houston (Texas) Westfield Top247 defensive tackle Keondre Coburn was never a candidate to sign early with Texas and with Jimbo Fisher and Tim Brewster holding it down at Texas A&M, this one could certainly end in Aggie colors. The 247Sports Composite ranks Coburn as the nation’s No. 8 defensive tackle.

Long-time Michigan linebacker commit Otis Reese didn’t sign but the communication with the Wolverines remains strong. Does in-state Georgia have room?

Mission Viejo (Calif.) High Top247 cornerback Olaijah Griffin has been a commit to UCLA since July. Longterm, I still like the Bruins, but they’re a new staff trying to make an impression and he always wanted to take visits and plans to do so in January so we’ll see what happens.

Snellville (Ga.) Brookwood Top247 receiver Matthew Hill didn’t sign with Auburn after committing in August. He wants to take visits.
I don’t expect Birmingham (Ala.) Jackson-Olin Top247 defensive tackle Coynis Miller to flip from Auburn but Tennessee will be in their swinging with the spatula. Jeremy Pruitt has a long-standing relationship with America’s most powerful interior defensive line recruit.

I like Maryland to hold on to Top247 cornerback Noah Boykin but Notre Dame made a strong push in the fall.

All seems fine with Miami and Top247 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera but he’ll take some visits with the plan always to be signing in February. I believe the Hurricanes hold on to him in the end.

Of course, not every commit who didn't take advantage of the Early Signing Period is still undecided. UCLA quarterback commit Dorian Thompson-Robinson is solid. Same with Jalen Preston and Texas A&M. It would be surprising to see Keaontay Ingram end up anywhere but Texas.

- Steve Wiltfong 247Sports

#2 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,639 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

If Texas A&M hires a big name DC, they could land several defensive players from those listed. Look for Brewster and Jimbo to be all over these guys in January!

#3 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,639 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

Jalen Preston is now 80% committed, WR 6'1" 202, before he was considerd a solid commit for A&M.

https://www.sbnation..._source=twitter

Look for Jimbo and Brewster to reel in the kid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users