Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

It really depends on what his record against the spread is.  :D

#2 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

He's not my favorite right now by any means, but I would be happy if we did well enough this year that he keeps his job at least one more year.  We need some continuity, and it is impossible to establish if we keep changing coaches.  If he can build and improve then I'm on board.

#3 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

It's almost like we paid our dues with him.  By that I mean, we paid him to learn on the job of what it takes to be successful in the SEC.  He thought he could bring his Houston Cougar system lock stock and barrel to the SEC and win.  JFF made that seem possible.  Since then, except for Clarence McKinney, I don't think another member of that original staff is still on the team.  He finally found a D coordinator that has a proven track record and it appears we're making good steady and real progress on that side of the ball.  And remember, last year we had Garrett and Hall, and we're doing just fine without them.  And improved in run defense.  He's made his way through 4 OCs so far, KK, Spaz, Spaz and Christensen, and now Mazzone.  Plus he brought back Jim Turner for the OLine.  So Sumlin has finally come around to realize, no matter how good the offense is, it has to give the defense a chance to rest.  And, a run game is a must, the air raid won't cut it.  And defense must be a priority.  So, we've paid our dues.  Now he's learned, I think, and trying to fix it.  So it would be best if we can see if this new staff is the answer.  Otherwise we wasted all these years on him.  Crazy thing is, alot of people want to hire Chad Morris.  Exactly the kind of resume Sumlin had when he came.  Do we really want to roll the dice again on that?  I think not.

#4 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Great post, I agree completely.  And I especially agree about Morris.

What remains to be seen about Sumlin, though, is if he has really learned what it takes to be successful in the SEC.  Will we finish the season strong, or end the season as we have the last several seasons, in a long downhill crash?

#5 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

And that is THE QUESTION isn't it?  And before we can make out first leftover turkey sandwich we'll know the answer to that.

#6 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Mmmmmm, left-over turkey!

#7 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

1-0 this week.  Great week to go into the off week.  And when we come out 2 weeks from now we'll really see what's what.  That's when we've really just fallen flat.  Auburn right out of the gate.  And it disturbs me that LSU beat Auburn.  I think that means LSU has found their stride and damn......that will be a tough season closer now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users