214 replies to this topic

#21 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts
  • LocationTygart River, West Virginia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

A&M just offered Tim Settle 5* DT from Manassas, VA. A&M footprint is ever expanding. Don't know if we have a real shot, but let's see if he comes for a visit. Michael Chigbu WR A&M 86% LSU 14%; and Kirk Merritt APB LSU 71% A&M 29% both from Louisiana visited A&M's spring practice today.

#22 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

One aspect of A&M's recent success is Mike Sherman's penultimate recruiting class prior to the hiring of Sumlin. The tradition of the "Maroon Goons" began with Sherman's recruiting class and this should be recognized and appreciated. The superior offensive line that A&M has enjoyed over Sumlin's reign is a key to A&M's success. And the other key element of Sumlin's reign is Johnny Football, and he was also recruited by Sherman. Let's take a moment and thank the guy who played such a key role in Texas A&M football history.

#23 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Dylan Mack still solid to A&M comments on the 2015 class: "
He added, “What really set it off was talking with Trev (Elbert) and them about everything. I took a few days to myself and just thought about it all. I can’t turn my back on this class. My heart’s in Aggieland. I feel like I would be turning my back on Larry (Pryor), Trev and those guys and I can’t turn my back on my friends.”
The friendships formed between the 2015 Aggie commits have played a big part in Mack’s decision to stay firm with his pledge.
“We have the No. 1 class right now and we all have a strong bond,” Mack said. “It’s not just with me, Larry and Trevor but I talk with Jay Bradford all of the time. I talk with Rodney Anderson a lot too. We’re just a close group and that’s what you need to have.”
As far as future visits are concerned, Mack appears to be done with trips outside the College Station city limits.
“I’m not going to check anything else out,” he said. “I have nothing planned right now and I probably won’t check anything else out.”
The most encouraging notes from our conversation with Mack last night were on the topic of his recent actions since his Tweet on Friday.
“I’ve been doing a lot of recruiting lately,” Mack said. “I talked with Christian (Kirk), Malik (Jefferson),Kyler (Murray) and Toby Weathersby. I can’t share too much but I feel like Malik and Kyler are coming to the good guys. I told them both that if they both commit early we’ll have the number one class and break some kind of record. Kyler really wants to play with Christian Kirk so I hit him up on Twitter. He liked his trip to Ohio State this weekend but he really likes A&M a lot too. Christian said he wants to take his official to A&M the same weekend Kyler does.”

this just stands out to me. I made a comment about this on another thread, but I don't remember ever seeing a class (not just the current commits, but the top targets in the state) that has become so close as the 2015 class and this will be huge for the aggies. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this but if these guys all sign here next February we will win a national title because they are already clicking and they're 12-16 months from stepping on campus. you just don't see that type of cohesion
"

Jay Bradford RB, Splendora, TX (committed A&M 8/21/13) A&M 50% Texas 50%;

Christian Kirk ATH, Scottsdale, AZ, A&M 74% Oregon 21% Ohio State 5%;

Toby Weathersby OT, Houston, TX, Oklahoma 100%;

Kyler Murray QB-DT, Allen TX, A&M 97 %;

Malik Jefferson OLB, Mesquite, TX, A&M 74% Texas 27%;

Rodney Anderson RB, (committed A&M 8/6/2013), Katy TX, A&M 100%;

Larry Pryor (committed A&M 1/30/2014) S, Sulphur Springs, TX 100% A&M;

Trevor Elbert OT Rockwall TX (committed A&M 1/26/2014) A&M 93% Texas 7%;

#24 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I saw where in an interview with Deionte Thompson he was (supposedly) steadfast about his commitment to Alabama. It appears he's is solid to Alabama and the 247 CB prediction of being 100% to A&M is incorrect. However, I think in general it is pretty accurate when there are more analysts in the poll. Deionte's poll had just 3 recruiting writers in it but only one (Hamm) having an A&M bias? So we could still get the guy despite what he said in the recent interview.
Deionte Thompson S; Alabama committed (2/23/2013); A&M 100%  
Not so fast my friend! It appears... unfortunately as he is in the ESPNjr 300, and the #4 safety for 2015, and we could use a guy like that. I'm certain Sumlin is/will still be working on him, maybe get the swagcopter out for the guy! The other thing we know is that what a guy says in an interview (e.g. Kenny Young from 2014 class) isn't necessarily the truth either. These guys sometimes like taking the writers for a ride!
Sumlin visited with Deionte on 1/22/2014, and the 3 writers polled all predicted him going to A&M that day, the next day, and the next week. So Sumlin says something to these guys, and that's about all it probably was based on: Brian Perroni (Recruiting Insider 247Sports) TAMU 1/22/14 11:51PM; Taylor Hamm (Texas A&M Insider with GigEm247) TAMU 1/23/14 11:31AM; Brian F. McLaughlin (Recruiting Analyst SaturdayDownSouth) TAMU 2/08/14 10:42AM.

#25 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Here is an update on our top 5 star recruiting targets for 2015 (come back, keep tuned in as I'll use the edit feature to update this post as I'm having some Merlot with my rice and bean burrito lunch right now): One comment that applies to Texas A&M's 2015 class is as it continues to build momentum not only as currently the top class in the nation, but as a truly great class, and that will help to attract other top recruits that want to be a part of something great as well. Also, many of these recruits know the other top players already committed to A&M and will want to join and play with their buddies. And the SEC is the place where 5 star players want to be so in the A&M verses Texas battles (e.g. Malik Jefferson), that is a big advantage for A&M and also against Baylor.

Kendall Sheffield, CB, Missouri City, TX (Fort Bend Marshall), out of 24 predictions, now 100% A&M, was 100% A&M

Malik Jefferson, LB, Mesquite, TX, (Poteet), 247 Crystal Ball, out of 27 predictions, now 74% A&M 26% Texas; was A&M 74% Texas 27%;
Malik Jefferson at the Nike camp said he has no top school now but had good things to say about Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M.

Looks like a classic Sumlin verses Strong battle for Malik as A&M was the heavy lean early but as it is with 5 star recruits, now he wants to look around more before deciding and its more of a tossup between Texas and A&M currently (per recent interview at the Nike camp in Dallas on 4/7/14).
Here is what Malik Jefferson had to say at the Nike camp: "[
Jefferson was forthcoming about where A&M sat with him recently.
"They are still on my list of course," he said. "Honestly I can say that they were my leading school, but there is no more leading school because something hit me one day and I realized that I needed to take a step back and evaluate everybody else."
One of the reasons that the Poteet star is widely seen as an A&M lean is because of his friendship with the so-called Fab Five, a group of mostly East Texas athletes who currently includes three Aggie commits -- defensive tackle Daylon Mack and safeties Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning. The other member, running back JaMycal Hasty, recently committed to Baylor, officially breaking up the group.
Still, Mack and Pryor and Dunning have been in Jefferson's ear about heading to College Station with them, but walk a fine line in doing so.
"Oh, they try to get me there, but at the same time they respect everything that I do and they're like, 'We were in the same shoes that you are and we have to learn how to respect what you want.'"
Of course, the A&M commits aren't the only ones selling the school to which they are committed, as Texas defensive end commit Charles Omenihu has been an active recruiter for the Longhorns and one of his targets is Jefferson.
"Yeah, he's hitting me hard with Texas," said the 6'2, 225-pounder. "He's trying to get me at Texas. Every day."
]"

Kyler Murray QB-DT, Allen TX, 247 Crystal Ball, out of 40 predictions, now 100% A&M; was A&M 97%

Kyler Murray is the son of former Texas A&M quarterback Kevin Murray and has always been a heavy A&M lean. I think that's still true. Recently dominated at the Nike camp and lead Allen to the 5A state championship.
Did you know Kyler Murray was listed at 5'11"? Here is an assessment of Murray from the Nike camp: "
I don’t like comparing him to Johnny Manziel but there were a couple of things today that stood to me that are strengths for both players. First, like Manziel, Murray is extremely well coordinated. There is no wasted motion with him…everything is fluid. You can see that in his footwork and quickly everything happens.
Second, Murray is having a very successful baseball season, hitting over .400 and playing second base. Like Manziel, baseball has conditioned Murray to having to make throws on the move and his coordination helps out immensely in that regard. When you watch him roll out, he reminds you of a middle infielder making those types of plays just like Manziel does.
How good was Murray today? One observer was watching him, walked over to us, and said “I don’t care about his height any more”.
" That gives you an insight at what made Manziel so great as a college QB, his ability to make those off balance quick release type throws and they were because of his play as an infielder. I bet you didn't know that! I sure didn't!

Christian Kirk ATH, Scottsdale, AZ, 247 Crystal Ball; out of 24 predictions, now 83% A&M, 12% Oregon, 4% Ohio State; was A&M 74%

Deionte Thompson S; Alabama committed (2/23/2013); out of 3 predictions, now A&M 100%; was 100% A&M

Alabama brought in 2 5 star safeties in the 2014 class, based on the depth charts at Alabama and A&M, Sumlin should be able to get Deionte to flip with the promise of immediate playing time.

Damarkus Lodge WR, Cedar Hill, TX, 247 Crystal Ball; out of 28 predictions, Baylor 57%, LSU 29%, Texas 7%, A&M 7%.

Once Murray commits then other WR's will want to join including Lodge.

#26 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Terry Price in Mississippi and has offered Justin Evans, 6'0" 190 pound, JUCO safety, runs 4.5 40, and reports are he is likely soon to be an Aggie. He's from Perkinston, Mississippi, Gulf Coast C.C. didn't see any rankings on him, but also has offers from Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Baylor and Nebraska. He attended Wiggins (Miss.) Stone HS. Sumlin is about to #YESSIR!Posted Image

#27 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

A&M got passed by Alabama for #1 and is now #3 according to 247sports team rankings: http://247sports.com...iteTeamRankings still great but I was getting a bit overzealous thinking about the 2015 class being one for the ages... but with the 5 star targets still with A&M leans I think Texas A&M lands the #1 class and beats out Alabama. If we flip Deionte Thompson, S, we pass Alabama and regain the #1 recruiting class. Note: If we get the 5 star players currently showing a strong A&M lean according to 247sports crystal ball predictions, that is 6 5 star recruits, not to mention several others that we may persuade that are not currently predicted to have an A&M lean such as Damarkus Lodge, WR, who may be persuaded when/if Kylor Murray commits (decision coming within weeks). Wow! That could make 7 5 stars for this class if all pans out! http://tamu.247sport...tionPredictions

#28 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

According to Arkansas insider Otis Kirk, Texas A&M assistant Jeff Banks is at Pine Bluff (AR.) High School evaluating 4-star Top247 2015 TE Will Gragg and 4-star 2016 DE-TE John Tate. Both are good prospects with heavy Arkansas leans.

#29 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

thanks for all the info...
Gig 'Em

#30 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Kris Boyd, #23 CB and a ESPN 300 recruit, has A&M lean verses Texas based on Crystal Ball predictions: 62% A&M, 38% Texas, but A&M still hasn't offered him. Has many offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, and others. Wonder why?

#31 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Du'Vonta Lampkin decommited from OU, has ton of offers, A&M held off due to academic issues last year, but have word is he is now good to go. Taylor Hamm just tweeted his Crystal Ball prediction, to ... Texas A&M. Let's see if A&M offers Lampkin in the next couple of days. Lampkin (6' 3" 300) at NT and Daylon Mack (6' 2" 310) at DT, now we talkin defensive line!

#32 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

According to Our Lady of Mercy Catholic School (GA) kicker Jameson Vest, Texas A&M special teams coordinator Jeff Banks was at his school today evaluating his spring practice this afternoon. Banks also evaluated Loganville (GA) kicker Cole Fisher today. Yesterday, Banks was in Florida yesterday evaluating kicker/punter Tommy Townsend as well. Vest attended the Aggies' Friday Night Lights Scrimmage in College Station earlier this month.

#33 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

This is from Gig'Em247 sports, by cdkkalm45678 who went to school with Kyler Murray and has talked with his coaches and players on the team. It was posted yesterday, 4/25/14:

"Being someone who lives in allen and actually has talked to people who know the coaches and players on the team, murray will not go to the MLB unless he gets a MASSIVE amount of money to play. He wants to go to college and play both football and baseball but football is his favorite of the two from what it seems. May 1st is something he tweeted and I think that's definitely the day he will announce where he's going, there's no other reason to post that. Also I've recently graduated and went to school with Murray for a year and I don't think you have as much to worry about I saw him decked out in a&m stuff all the time, I saw him maybe wear an Oregon shirt once in the whole year. He definitely favors a&m. If he thinks he can win the starting job he'll go there."

#34 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

A bit of a sigh of relief regarding Kyler Murray (but also fwiw): http://oregon.247spo...Murray-28366424

#35 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Latest rumor on Gig'Em247 is Texas A&M is about to get a commitment, nothing specific as to who it is or even if its for 2015 (could be 2016 I assume). Anyway Sumlin's about to #YESSIR?

#36 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Probably JUCO Safety Justin Evans, no ratings that I saw on him but has some major power offers including Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Baylor, and Nebraska. He's a Mississippi native and going to C.C. there. I think we'll hear his commitment in the next day or two? But, still could be somebody else?

#37 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Kevin Sumlin@CoachSumlin   7h
#YESSIR!

BREAKING: Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College safety Justin Evans has committed to Texas A&M. The 6-1, 185-pounder chose the Aggies over Auburn, Baylor, Georgia, Nebraska and Ole Miss. GigEm247 first introduced Evans as a target for Terry Joseph earlier this month. Evans is on pace to graduate in December and will have three years to play two.

“I just got off the phone with the head man and I told him I was ready to commit,” Evans told GigEm247. “Coach (Kevin) Sumlin said that A&M was the place I need to be at and fit what they needed and I could help them win next year. That’s all I needed to hear and I said I’m committing.
“He was excited. Coach Sumlin says he tweets out Yessir when he gets a commit so I gotta go check that out.”
The 6-foot, 185-pounder will graduate in December and have three years to play two when he enrolls at Texas A&M. Last season, he recorded 47 tackles, 7 passes broken up, 5 INTs and also a defensive touchdown at the JUCO level.
Evans added that he is finished with his recruitment and is 100 percent solid.

Great find for Terry Joseph! A JUCO Safety is just what A&M needed and they got it! Whoop! Now, lets land Kyler!

Basically, anybody named Matthews or named Evans just go and get 'em! .

According to the headline on Saturday Down South "Texas AM lands commitment No. 9, four-star DB" So he's already rated as a 4 star by some rating services. They also went on to say "Texas A&M is back up to being the No. 5 rated class in the nation again, thanks to the pickup of JUCO defensive back Justin Evans"

A spattering of comments from Gig'Em247:

Taylor Hamm: (as to whether this was the guy rumored to be about to commit): "Yes it was. Been sitting on it all day. The staff wanted to let him get through with finals today and then get him on the phone with Sumlin. Evans was so eager to be an Aggie he couldn't wait until tomorrow."

Jeff Tarpley: "A&M 2015 commit Justin Evans is a physical athlete with great vision who would be welcome at just about any big time program in the country"

"The kid has never even been on campus."

"
On film he looks similar to guys ranking in the low 90s. Very solid mechanics and his break on the ball is top shelf. Has all the things you want in a safety: discipline, sense of where the ball is going, flip-switch reaction time, closing speed, tackling fundamentals, aggressiveness, size. You can also tell he has the physique of a college player and not a HS player.
This is an A+ get, folks. Believe it. This will help make up for the loss of DSG/Miles in a BIG way.
"

"Easy easy 4 star."

"This dude FLIES all over the field and hits like a ton of bricks." "

"Looks like a young Hershal Walker with Honey Badger hair."

#38 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Rumor is Mike Mitchell, LB, visited Texas A&M during this week so there is a distinct possibility of another big get at a position of need! Keep your fingers crossed on this one though. Also, I think he may be able to play in 2014 but not sure. Also, rumor Du'vonta Lampkin, DT, is ready to commit but still hasn't received an offer from A&M, and maybe if he gets one soon he commits on the spot. Supposedly he's waiting for A&M to offer and has some big time offers from... lots of big time programs.

#39 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Mike Mitchell and his brother are working out a time for the whole family to come for a visit. Probably a package deal. Second brother

Mickey Mitchell would be a big recruit in basketball for Texas A&M.Posted Image
Plano West LB Kiwi Mitchell (@kiwimitchell24) with brother Mike after posting Dallas #NikeCombine high 122.64 SPARQ. This information was provided by Taylor Hamm at Gig'Em247 Sports.

#40 Jeffrey Goldberg

Jeffrey Goldberg

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,774 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Kris Boyd, 4 star CB, Gilmer, TX (Gilmer), offered by A&M today. Here is his tweet:

@kris23db

Biggest offer of all! I'm taking things in and would like to not be asked about when my choice will be made but A&M has offerd!���� #gigem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users