• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 JDThirstyAg

JDThirstyAg

Redshirt Freshman

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

When I was asked, I was unable to find anything and I'm trying to find out what I missed.  With so many smoke signals coming out all at once, I am trying to keep my bearings.

#22 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I was skeptical at the reports that we were so close to actually going to the SEC, but I guess that is the case.

#23 Aggie By Default

Aggie By Default

Team Captain

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Saw this today..

http://www.mysananto...-if-1844590.php
:gig: I Never Give Them Hell, I Just Tell The Truth And They Think Its Hell !

#24 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

That's a pretty good article but doesn't really say anything new....  just kinda summarizes the past month.

I think the key to all of this is the stability factor....  I think that is our real driver in all of this.  After the SWC fell apart we moved to the big12 and that seems on the verge of falling apart as well.  I think our brass does not want to do this again and are looking to make one final move to guarantee we would never have to make another conference affiliation move.  The SEC is the most stable conference in the country and I think our people like that idea (as well as the true $ sharing) vs the constant attention we would have to pay to the lhn if we stay in the big12.
"Pretty women make you buy beer. Ugly women make you drink beer." -Al Bundy-

#25 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

I would say the Big 10 is as stable as the SEC.  The Big 10 is pretty tightly run.  I have heard that OU is looking to start their own network.  If OU and tu have their own network then whatever possibility that remained of having a Big 12 network minus tu is over.  So that would mean if the network is successful then A&M would have to follow suit to compete, assuming a university network starts to become a decision point for recruits between schools "all else being equal."  I'm not sure if having a network would be a big deal or not to a recruit.  I guess you could tell the parents for an additional $2 per month you can see your son/daughter on TV and hear about what they are doing etc....

#26 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Well... Aggieyell.com is reporting it's a done deal... SEC bound is A&M!!!

BOR will make it official on 22 August.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#27 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Until A&M puts out a press release I put little faith in this one....  I think its a case of them wanting to be first because its more than likely happening and they are taking a chance and if they are right it pays off bigtime by being the first but if they are wrong its just a case of the blogger not knowing anything.

#28 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

If that's the case, you have no idea how many folks will have a conniption... Lol...

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#29 chjoak

chjoak

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

View Postjagowar, on 11 August 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

Until A&M puts out a press release I put little faith in this one....  I think its a case of them wanting to be first because its more than likely happening and they are taking a chance and if they are right it pays off bigtime by being the first but if they are wrong its just a case of the blogger not knowing anything.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised in a couple of weeks.

#30 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I think I will be too but I refuse to get excited until the paperwork is signed and they put out the official release..... I would guess it has a 70% chance of happening right now but that still leaves 30% it falls apart at the last second.

#31 Vlyrock

Vlyrock

Head Coach

• Administrators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

True, there could be external circumstances that still squash this.  I think it's a pretty much done deal, but like Jag - I'm not getting too excited until A&M sends the letter off to the Big XII and holds a press conference that says we're going.

#32 chjoak

chjoak

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

From what I have heard, I would put the chances more like 80-85% with a high possibility of having an answer by the end of next week.

#33 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Assuming this happens I wonder what the renegotiated amt per school would reach....  you know that contract would get stupid insane (probably would equal if not exceed the revenue tu would be getting with their current contracts + lhn).

Right now the sec schools are getting ~17 mil per yr.  A renegotiated contract would be worth significantly more than that (esp with the leverage of the new pac12 deal worth 21 mil per school).

Either way our exposure would go up significantly even on the non football sports....  the sec always had their basketball and baseball games on espn and I for one welcome that.  It's been a travesty how poorly the big12 has been covered the past few yrs.

#34 macduff93

macduff93

All American

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

Hallelujah!  I started believing this was a real possibility during the last Big?X? conference recently. This time, it seems those in position to give tu and the Big?X? the finger seem finally willing to do so in A&M's best interest, on many levels, not just football.

Does anyone else think this move would benefit our student athletes in others sports, as well?

#35 Vlyrock

Vlyrock

Head Coach

• Administrators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:31 AM

A random question... does the SEC do equestrian?  We always seem to win national championships in that.  Is there even a conference affiliation in that?

#36 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

http://www.star-tele...nvolved-in.html

Looks like the politicians are trying to have their say....

#37 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

This was posted by watchole @ texags so something tells me its VERY important.... he doesn't normally do call to action things like that.

Here's a little story for you ags:

Rep. Dan Branch, Chairman of House Higher Education Committee, applauded UT at a February hearing regarding the Longhorn Network. How is Texas A&M moving to the SEC any different?

quote:"I do not think this Legislature ought to penalize people that are going on and being successful in maximizing their assets and getting a higher return and finding revenues that are not a tax base." - Rep. Dan Branch, House Committee on Higher Education, 2/23/11

quote:I certainly will do everything I can to make sure that people who take care of their institutions and raise them up and bring in more revenues and create value that somehow that wouldn’t be a detriment as they go through the appropriations process." - Rep. Dan Branch, House Committee on Higher Education, 2/23/11

See this article for his thoughts on A&M to SEC:

http://texas.rivals....asp?CID=1251051

Tweet it, facebook it, email it. Don't fotget the #TAMU.

#38 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Looks like Monday is the big day....  http://info.sos.stat...885&Z_CHK=33600

#39 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

If I were a betting man I would put the liklihood of a move at about 90%

The Leg will have some say but at this point I think both sides are happy to part ways.
We are tired of the give an inch take a mile mentality and the Horns are tired of us complaining about it every time it happens.

Personally I've wanted to be part of the SEC for sometime so I'm happy this is happening though the constant chaos does get old.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#40 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Its a 95% chance right now imo....  the fact that we have something official now says it all to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users