115 replies to this topic

#101 PJAggiegrrl

PJAggiegrrl

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

apparently, Baylor is holding up the whole thing now by not consenting that there will be no legal action against A&M or the SEC over all this.
" life imitates art like a shooting star"

#102 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...eat-delays-move
"Pretty women make you buy beer. Ugly women make you drink beer." -Al Bundy-

#103 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

It is twitter but there is this....
@InsideTAMU

#104 PJAggiegrrl

PJAggiegrrl

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

It's all very dramatic lol
" life imitates art like a shooting star"

#105 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

President R. Bowen Loftin, Texas A&M University
Statement Regarding Conference Situation
"We are certainly pleased with the action taken last night by the presidents and chancellors of the Southeastern Conference to unanimously accept Texas A&M as the league's 13th member. However, this acceptance is conditional, and we are disappointed in the threats made by one of the Big 12 member institutions to coerce Texas A&M into staying in Big 12 Conference. These actions go against the commitment that was made by this university and the Big 12 on Sept. 2. We are working diligently to resolve any and all issues as outlined by the SEC."

http://www.aggieathl...TCLID=205267581

#106 Vlyrock

Vlyrock

Head Coach

• Administrators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Baylor doesn't realize this, but they're a kamikaze plane taking down the BIg XII. If they would have just gotten out of the way, A&M would be gone and today's Big XII meeting would be about finding a replacement to keep the Big XII alive.  Instead, the meeting is about stopping the litigation threats from Baylor.  If you're OU and Mizzou (who are exploring their options), there's no way you think that you want to stay in this conference.  OU is for sure going to jump ship now -- and with that, the conference will crumble.

#107 macduff93

macduff93

All American

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

I hate it when my nagging doubts turn to reality. :cry:  

It's really sad that all these games are being played, but I shouldn't be surprised given what happened to the SWC. I don't remember being too wrapped up in the details of its demise, but I certainly didn't understand what made Baylor more special than TCU or Rice. It's becoming a bit more clear now and it's pretty stupid on their part given their lack of success in the Big XII unless being parasites is their true goal. That must be it because they've been benefitting financially from the success and efforts of others no matter how they perform. I guess no one likes going off welfare.

#108 CaliHornia

CaliHornia

All American

• Members
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

View PostVlyrock, on 07 September 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Baylor doesn't realize this, but they're a kamikaze plane taking down the BIg XII. If they would have just gotten out of the way, A&M would be gone and today's Big XII meeting would be about finding a replacement to keep the Big XII alive.  Instead, the meeting is about stopping the litigation threats from Baylor.  If you're OU and Mizzou (who are exploring their options), there's no way you think that you want to stay in this conference.  OU is for sure going to jump ship now -- and with that, the conference will crumble.

This is Baylor's Alamo.  They do not end up in a better place here by being friendly with folks. That will get them a pat on the back and directions to the sunbelt conference.

I'm not fond of being held in this conference as a result of coercion by Baylor.  And I don't know what will happen if we try to go.  I don't think we're going to look out for Baylor, that's for sure.  I do know that what is being asked of Baylor is somewhat unreasonable.  They're going to be left in a worse place.  The SEC is giving them nothing.  And yet, the SEC is asking them to waive unknown claims against the conference.

That just doesn't happen.  No one does that.
Posted Image

#109 CaliHornia

CaliHornia

All American

• Members
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:11 AM

View Postmacduff93, on 07 September 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

I hate it when my nagging doubts turn to reality. :cry:  

It's really sad that all these games are being played, but I shouldn't be surprised given what happened to the SWC. I don't remember being too wrapped up in the details of its demise, but I certainly didn't understand what made Baylor more special than TCU or Rice. It's becoming a bit more clear now and it's pretty stupid on their part given their lack of success in the Big XII unless being parasites is their true goal. That must be it because they've been benefitting financially from the success and efforts of others no matter how they perform. I guess no one likes going off welfare.

What made them special then was Ann Richards.

With the limited resources Baylor has they're going to find it hard to be competitive with programs like OU, Texas and A&M over the long haul.  Even Tech and oSu.  I don't know that I'd say they've done horribly.  In some of the other sports they've done okay and they're getting their act together in football and basketball.  Hell, for most of the last 10 years it's not like A&M has been unstoppable in this conference.

While they don't bring much to the table, don't minimize the importance of lesser teams in a conference.  You can't play Bama every week.  Every conference has teams that lose more than they win.

And I get where they're coming from here to an extent.  There was not this much money in college athletics back when the SWC broke up.  Universities are budgeting now based on more money.  And Baylor might have done that given certain contracts that were signed just last year. Marry that with the fact that they are looking at being excluded from what might be a new 64 team mega deal where the real big bucks are...and you can see the frustration.

I'm not happy that Baylor may be able to use litigation to threaten to keep us.

But I try to see things from all sides. And I get where Baylor is coming from.
Posted Image

#110 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Got the following from a t-sip buddy of mine just now, probably from orangebloods... I hope it happens so A&M can go to the SEC asap.

------------------------------

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's original plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#111 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

Part of me wants to see this drag out until football season is over.....  just so the ref's don't feel the need to screw us over.

#112 GuatemalanAg

GuatemalanAg

Graduate Assistant

• Maroon Supporter
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

:popcorn: I agree with the refs comment 100% If we are not the only school leaving there is no way we get screwed by the zebras...

#113 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Maybe it's just me but I don't buy into the whole ref's will job us mentality....at least from a one school is going to get jobbed perspective.  I think bad calls happen but I think in the end the number of bad calls come out in the wash when all is said and done.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#114 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Sounds like its still on from an sec perspective....  http://www.secdigita...-alignment.aspx

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, during a speaking engagement Monday night in Birmingham, Ala., is talking about a variety of topics concerning the Southeastern Conference.  One of those topics is conference alignment.  Here are those comments:

"In the 78 year history of the SEC, the conference had accepted the membership applications of only two institutions—Arkansas and South Carolina. Texas A&M is now the third. We remain optimistic that Texas A&M will be a member of the SEC and have started to look  at schedules for 2012-13 involving thirteen teams.

"As I said over the past year or so, the SEC has had no particular interest in expansion. We were, and are, happy with 12 teams. If Texas A&M’s President, Dr. Bowen Loftin had not called me in late July, we had no plans to explore adding an institution.

"However, when President Loftin called we became interested.  Texas A&M is an outstanding academic institution with an exceptional athletic program, passionate fans and wonderful traditions.  While the SEC wasn't thinking about expansion, it was impossible not to be interested in Texas A&M.  As you can see from the unanimous vote of our twelve Presidents/Chancellors, we would very much like to have Texas A&M as a member of our conference.

"When Texas A&M joins our conference, we don't have immediate plans for a 14th member.  We aren’t thinking in terms of numbers.  We think about the strength of the SEC and the attractiveness of Texas A&M as an institution."

#115 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

I will say this, best part of moving to the SEC will def be the coverage. CBS & ESPN keep replaying SEC games all the time.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#116 Slotback

Slotback

Graduate Assistant

• Maroon Supporter
  • 7,727 posts
  • LocationOut on the wing.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

View Postjagowar, on 12 September 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

Part of me wants to see this drag out until football season is over.....  just so the ref's don't feel the need to screw us over.

They won't. Mostly because their future as refs is on the line. Those guys are under a lot of scrutiny. Job a team, and you'll have a hard time getting a reffing job in the Southland Conference.
Who Dares Wins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users