155 replies to this topic

#21 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

:wow: I would love for Air Force to join the Big XII North!!!!!! But talk about an ego shot to CSU... :laugh:

Horns, Aggies not on same page
7:41
AM ET  Texas Longhorns Top Email
Posted Image
UPDATE: Chuck Carlton of The Dallas Morning News reports that Texas A&M still wants to take a long look at the SEC and may not be ready to commit to the Pac-10 on the predicted timetable (i.e., next week). Interestingly, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, an A&M alum, said on Thursday night that he is not getting involved -- "Frankly, it doesn't need to have a political aspect to it" -- perhaps confirmation that the two would be allowed to go their separate ways.

That said, sources told Carlton that A&M will probably still join Texas in the Pac-16.

---

According to a report on the Waco Tribune's website, the much anticipated talks between officials of Texas and Texas A&M, which were supposed to get both sides on the same page moving forward, have stalled, with no agreement reached.

A source tells the Tribune that UT president William Powers wants to move to the Pac-10, while coach Mack Brown prefers to remain in the depleted Big 12. Meanwhile, Texas A&M's first choice is also to remain in the Big 12, with its second choice being the SEC.

Interesting. There is one school of thought floating around that joining the Big Ten would be a compromise choice for the two schools, and this disagreement plays right into that theory. However, it sounds as if a better alternative would be to stay in the Big 12, perhaps adding two schools out of the TCU-SMU-BYU-Air Force quartet.

Regardless, talk of the Pac-16 now appears to be quite premature.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#22 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

Good quote from Byrne in this post...

Why Texas won't hang around

"Remember what the job of an athletic director is," Byrne said. "We're all very mercenary. We're all out there to protect our own institutions, so everybody has their own interests in mind."

The artcile is about tu & how they are doing what's in their best interest... Which is why I am glad A&M is trying to do what's in it's best interest.  :gig:

#23 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

View PostKCAggie, on 11 June 2010 - 06:58 AM, said:

This waiting game is driving me nuts.  I never did think about our fight song though.

honestly I've always agreed that the fight song was childish - sing it when we play t.u., sure, but singing it when we're playing another random school just doesn't make sense and opens us up for the (warranted in this case) joking.
Gig 'Em

#24 Stobie

Stobie

Maroon Kool-Aid Vendor

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

View Postjbb1366, on 11 June 2010 - 07:29 AM, said:

honestly I've always agreed that the fight song was childish - sing it when we play t.u., sure, but singing it when we're playing another random school just doesn't make sense and opens us up for the (warranted in this case) joking.

I can live with the fight song but throwing away 100+ years of tradition is tough to swallow. But on the same note if both schools can be cordial enough to schedule that game as one of the OOC games then I am ok with the move.

#25 KCAggie

KCAggie

Graduate Assistant

• White Supporter
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

I understand tradition, but sometimes traditions need to come to an end.  If this is what is best for A&M, so be it.

#26 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

I still want to play the sips every year on Thanksgiving.
Gig 'Em

#27 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

View Postjbb1366, on 11 June 2010 - 08:26 AM, said:

I would prefer to play them as well but if they don't want to play us I would LOVE to replace that game with lsu in reliant every tday.

"Pretty women make you buy beer. Ugly women make you drink beer." -Al Bundy-

#28 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

I bet we have a TV deal to play them for the next few  years on Thanksgiving anyway...
Gig 'Em

#29 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

View Postjbb1366, on 11 June 2010 - 08:26 AM, said:

I think we all do.

#30 whitelightnin_23

whitelightnin_23

Head Coach

• Members
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

View PostKCAggie, on 11 June 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

I understand tradition, but sometimes traditions need to come to an end.  If this is what is best for A&M, so be it.

I'm completely torn on this one...but agree.

#31 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

an article on SI.com ends with this:

"Slocum said any decision A&M makes will be based purely on its financial impact, and not on more intangible elements, like preserving traditions and rivalries."

The more I read the more I think that we are headed to the SEC.  If that happens I'm not sure UT, tceh, Okie St, etc move to the PAC - maybe UT will go Big 10 after all and tceh will be left out.  That would be funny.
Gig 'Em

#32 KCAggie

KCAggie

Graduate Assistant

• White Supporter
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

Whatever happens, the PAC 10 will add at least one more team to make an even 12.  Otherwise, adding Colorado was pointless.

#33 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

I'm warming up more and more to the prospect of joining the SEC. I still have reservations about it, but it sounds like it could work out for us. In particular, I think us going to the SEC would negatively impact tu. Either way, I think the rivalry is safe. Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, and Clemson-South Carolina are great in-state, non-conference rivalries that are played every year the same week we play texas.
"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane
"We don't believe in moral victories" - Chris Walker

#34 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

If the rivalry dies because A&M joins the SEC, I don't see  it being at the hands of A&M... it would be tu's doing by not wanting to play A&M as an OOC team.

#35 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

IF we went SEC and assuming we would be in the West (which is the only way we could go obviously) then we would be playing Auburn, Alabama, LSU and a two year rotation that includes Florida, Georgia and Tennessee.

I have a feeling that we would have as much to say about not wanting to play a top tier program every year in OOC.  

Tholugh in the end I think both programs will want the game at least in the short term.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#36 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Man, I am torn as well.  I would hate to throw away 100 years of tradition, but at the same time, it would be nice to be out from the sip's shadow.  However, we have been a run of the mill, medicre team in a mediocre conference for the last decade.  I am not sure if going to the SEC would help that or make it worse.  I don't want to be the Baylor of the SEC just for a few million dollars.
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

P-Ville:  "Dustin, what the hell are you doing?"
Dustin:  "Shut up, I'm trying to turn on Sportscenter!"
P-Ville: "Dustin, dumbass, that's not a TV, that's the dresser."
Dustin:  "Oh shit!"

Posted Image

#37 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

View PostPflugerville Ag, on 11 June 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

Man, I am torn as well. I would hate to throw away 100 years of tradition, but at the same time, it would be nice to be out from the sip's shadow. However, we have been a run of the mill, medicre team in a mediocre conference for the last decade. I am not sure if going to the SEC would help that or make it worse. I don't want to be the Baylor of the SEC just for a few million dollars.

Here's an idea, let's take Baylor to the SEC with us. Then the strength of our division would be very similar to what the Big XII South has been. We'd have LSU and Alabama (like OU and texas), and Auburn and Arkansas (like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech). We'd have to have a very good year to win the division, but at least we'd have a break (Baylor) on the schedule.

The SEC East would definitely give us harder games some years compared to the Big XII North (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee), but Kentucky, Vanderbilt, the Mississippi schools and South Carolina are probably on par with most of the Big XII North.

I think the SEC would be willing to take Baylor if they got us.

Just an idea...
"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane
"We don't believe in moral victories" - Chris Walker

#38 whitelightnin_23

whitelightnin_23

Head Coach

• Members
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

View PostPflugerville Ag, on 11 June 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

Man, I am torn as well.  I would hate to throw away 100 years of tradition, but at the same time, it would be nice to be out from the sip's shadow.  However, we have been a run of the mill, medicre team in a mediocre conference for the last decade.  I am not sure if going to the SEC would help that or make it worse.  I don't want to be the Baylor of the SEC just for a few million dollars.

not to mention...KIDS WANT TO PLAY IN THE SEC!
Huge move for recruiting...advantage: A&M

#39 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

View PostLoftin, on 11 June 2010 - 11:57 AM, said:

Here's an idea, let's take Baylor to the SEC with us. Then the strength of our division would be very similar to what the Big XII South has been. We'd have LSU and Alabama (like OU and texas), and Auburn and Arkansas (like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech). We'd have to have a very good year to win the division, but at least we'd have a break (Baylor) on the schedule.

The SEC East would definitely give us harder games some years compared to the Big XII North (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee), but Kentucky, Vanderbilt, the Mississippi schools and South Carolina are probably on par with most of the Big XII North.

I think the SEC would be willing to take Baylor if they got us.

Just an idea...

While I'd love to have a "break" on our schedulue, we won't get better if we schedule gimmie games.  The pre-season cup cake games irritate me enough as it is, we don't need to schedule cup cakes during the season.  And, I don't see us "taking" Baylor anywhere - they'll have to fend for themselves, and would rather be with tu in a conference than us anyway.

As for us and tu going different directions, I would have bet big money against that ever happening, but it's now looking like a real possibility.  Wow.

#40 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I don't want Baylor or any other school we play now coming with us if we go to the SEC.  We would need the advantage of saying that we are the only TX school to play in the SEC.  I don't want OU or OSU coming either b/c us going by ourselves is the only thing that would give us an advantage.
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

P-Ville:  "Dustin, what the hell are you doing?"
Dustin:  "Shut up, I'm trying to turn on Sportscenter!"
P-Ville: "Dustin, dumbass, that's not a TV, that's the dresser."
Dustin:  "Oh shit!"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users