#141 aggie1997

aggie1997

All American

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

View Postchjoak, on 14 June 2010 - 09:27 PM, said:

B12 won't pursue anyone.  This is what tu wants, more money and an easy path to the BCS.  The one hitch in their plan is that with a lack of a CCG we will be just as irrelevant as the B10 was when it came time to pick which team/conference got the MNC bid.

You would think that tu would realize how negative the "easy path" is.  Better competition breeds better champions.

#142 KCAggie

KCAggie

Graduate Assistant

• White Supporter
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with wins, losses, the students, fans or the players.  It's all about the $$$$.

#143 macduff93

macduff93

All American

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

View PostPflugerville Ag, on 14 June 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

Where are you seeing the deal was with Fox?  I don't see how that is possible b/c that would mean that ESPN let us out of our current contract and let the Big 12 sign a new deal with Fox.  No way IMO.

B Liucci posted a tweet indicating as much. Maybe he misspoke or I misunderstood, but if you read down on his Twitter page, it's there.

#144 Bones

Bones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

View PostKCAggie, on 14 June 2010 - 10:27 PM, said:

I don't think this has anything to do with wins, losses, the students, fans or the players.  It's all about the $$$$.

Exactly, it's been all about money from the very begining and Texas struck a goldmine.

#145 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

Has anyone actually seen any aspects of all of the TV contract that is generating the money listed as being set in stone?

I mean if ESPN is behind it where are they possibly going to broadcast our games?  Is ABC suddenly going to have more slots open up on Saturday?

Their status quo with the Pac 10 and SEC (for ESPN), Pac 10 for ABC (along with whatever conference the Big 12 was) and the various fox sports channels doesn't change.  

NBC is locked down with Notre Dame and CBS will still be getting their SEC on...

Maybe Fox (the broadcast version not the cable sports channels)?
I mean I don't see a way to get everyone more TV coverage.  We are still splitting time with the Pac 10 on ABC...which means more regionaly televised games and lots of Fox Sports Southwest and their ever present emmy winning production values....

To me it looks like we got more cash for the same crap TV contract.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#146 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

ABC and ESPN are the same thing..... Disney owns both.
"Pretty women make you buy beer. Ugly women make you drink beer." -Al Bundy-

#147 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Yes they are but, the SEC owns virtually every single viable slot on said cable holding of ESPN that's the point.
The prime evening slots are held by the SEC...the morning/early slots are held by the rest of the SEC and the Big 10

I'm interested in the details of how many games are actually on TV.  If we are going to sell our soul and suckle upon the holy altar of tu...I hope we at least get on TV a bit more.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#148 AUFan

AUFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

Auburn fan here, was really hoping you guys would join the SEC. Is there still a chance?

#149 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

View PostAUFan, on 15 June 2010 - 08:10 AM, said:

Auburn fan here, was really hoping you guys would join the SEC. Is there still a chance?

nope... our administration put out a press release last night stating the big12 was official.

#150 AUFan

AUFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

View Postjagowar, on 15 June 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

nope... our administration put out a press release last night stating the big12 was official.
That really sux, the longhorns are becoming the new Notre Dame as far as being hated around the country.

#151 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

View PostAUFan, on 15 June 2010 - 08:14 AM, said:

That really sux, the longhorns are becoming the new Notre Dame as far as being hated around the country.

The only good thing about all of this is people nationally are starting to see what all of us not affiliated with tv in texas already knew.... They started the whole process of moving to the pac10 (with the chip brown leaks) and thought they could control us to move to the pac10. When we objected they all of the sudden wanted to keep the big12 together and some in the press are giving tu credit for "saving" the conference. The problem for them is now the normal college fans are starting to see the kind of crap they pull in this state and are becoming hated nationally like notre dame.

#152 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I have no idea what is going on with the TV contract.  Liucci says that its with Fox, but the guys in Austin say its with ESPN.  You would think that whoever it is would be out talking about it pumping it up for publicity.  Both sides are quiet.  Rumors that it is an exclusivity deal with Fox.  That would suck b/c it could mean the end of ESPN basketball games for the conference.  :(  If this is true, Fox (not Fox Sports Net) better open up some weekend and weekday time slots for other sports.
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

P-Ville:  "Dustin, what the hell are you doing?"
Dustin:  "Shut up, I'm trying to turn on Sportscenter!"
P-Ville: "Dustin, dumbass, that's not a TV, that's the dresser."
Dustin:  "Oh shit!"

Posted Image

#153 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

It better be espn.... at worst if its espn you have espn3.com to fall back on if they don't have room on their broadcast channels (and espn3 is now on xbox live as well for viewing on my tv)

I believe there are press conferences scheduled today so I expect to get some concrete details on the tv deal.

#154 chjoak

chjoak

All Conference

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

There is still a chance but it is out of our hands.  Our BOR has resigned to be tu's whipping boy due to whatever influences/pressures that have popped up in the last few days.  The wild card will be Mizzou and to a lessor degree guys like ttu and ok-lite.  If those guys get a big enough bug up their butts about the unequal revenue and are presented with an alternative option they could still ruin tu's plan.

It's unlikely at this point but I would love to see the PAC10 try to blow this all up by offering ttu and ok-lite to join without tu.  I would imagine that the P16 option would be more attractive to those guys and such a move by the PAC10 could quickly force tu to move that direction again.  If nothing else, it would open the door back up for us to move to the SEC and finally end this mess.

#155 macduff93

macduff93

All American

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostAUFan, on 15 June 2010 - 08:10 AM, said:

Howdy!  :)

No immediate chance, but who knows what the future holds?  ;)   I think it's apparent that most vocal former students and fans would love to part of the SEC, so I tend to think time is on our side.

#156 AUFan

AUFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

View Postjagowar, on 15 June 2010 - 08:26 AM, said:

The only good thing about all of this is people nationally are starting to see what all of us not affiliated with tv in texas already knew.... They started the whole process of moving to the pac10 (with the chip brown leaks) and thought they could control us to move to the pac10. When we objected they all of the sudden wanted to keep the big12 together and some in the press are giving tu credit for "saving" the conference. The problem for them is now the normal college fans are starting to see the kind of crap they pull in this state and are becoming hated nationally like notre dame.
Seems as though you guys hate tu as much as we hate the bammernecks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users