• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Interesting article by Reilly on Yates' HS basketball coach. I knew they were the best team in the nation, but I didn't realize what they were doing to other teams. Thoughts? I think this goes past the philosophy of if you don't like it, then stop us like playing Leach at Tech.

Coach Wise is the hammerhead who believes it's his right to toast other basketball teams by 100 points. Sometimes more. He thumped Lee High School this season by 135 points, 170-35. Wise's team was up at the half, 100-12. And full-court pressed to the very end!

Wise is to sportsmanship what tsunamis are to beach chairs. So far this season, he's beaten teams by 135, 115, 99 (twice), 98, 90 and 88 points. Trying to get to 100 points in a crushing of Westbury, his players intentionally fouled to stop the clock.

If Wise doesn't stop, somebody's going to get hurt. In a Feb. 20 home game, Wise refused to pull his foot off the accelerator in a 132-68 fricasseeing of Booker T. Washington. Nobody likes to be humiliated, and this includes fans. Like at some of Yates' games, there was fighting. This time it happened in the parking lot afterward. Shots were fired, though nobody was hurt. This time.

http://sports.espn.g...rick&id=4977305
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

P-Ville:  "Dustin, what the hell are you doing?"
Dustin:  "Shut up, I'm trying to turn on Sportscenter!"
P-Ville: "Dustin, dumbass, that's not a TV, that's the dresser."
Dustin:  "Oh shit!"

Posted Image

#2 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Then there should be a mercy rule... Just saying.. At least in High School sports & lower...

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#3 adamrod

adamrod

Team Captain

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I agree with the article.  Yates doesn't play basketball; they showboat.  Most of their shots are alley-oops or dunks off of passes off the backboard-the kinds of shots you don't teach as part of a disciplined basketball program.  Their players will pass on a wide open dunk in order to lay the ball off the backboard for a teammate to dunk.  (Sloan's Baylor Baptism would barely make the highlight reel)  I wouldn't mind it so much if they were playing fundamental basketball and scoring tons of points, but they are out there strictly to show off.

Yes they have some great players on that team, and showing inner city kids they can succeed through hard work is valid.  But I think the way they play the game from start to end is unsportsmanlike.

#4 Dustin00whoop

Dustin00whoop

Head Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 21,072 posts
  • LocationPflugerville

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

If he keeps it up for too long some thug will take care of the problem himself.

#5 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

Dustin00whoop said:

If he keeps it up for too long some thug will take care of the problem himself.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Its only a matter of time before the team/coach gets hit with a drive by.
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

Posted Image

#6 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

This guy is a jerk.  Full-court press for all 40 minutes with record-breaking leads is teaching his own players bad sportsmanship and lack of class.

That being said, I think there is too much worrying about margin of victory these days.  If you lose by 30 points, it's an embarrassing blowout.  How is 90 any different?  It still only counts as 1 loss.
"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane
"We don't believe in moral victories" - Chris Walker

#7 DCAggie

DCAggie

All American

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

Loftin said:

That being said, I think there is too much worrying about margin of victory these days.  If you lose by 30 points, it's an embarrassing blowout.  How is 90 any different?  It still only counts as 1 loss.

Tell that to the kids from Lee High.

#8 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

DCAggie said:

Tell that to the kids from Lee High.

I played on a REALLY bad HS football team my senior year.  We were 0-5 in district games(2-8 overall, including losses to teams in lower divisions), and our district included Kilgore and Texas High (one went to state that year, the other the year before).  We regularly lost by 40, 50, sometimes even 60 points.  At the end, it felt no different than the games we lost by 20.

Good sportsmanship goes both ways.  Players need to learn how to succeed while doing things the right way, but they also need to learn how to handle adversity, no matter how bad or unfair it seems.  I think I handle disappointments in life better than I would have if I had not played football.  I still played hard, learned the gameplan for the week, and gave it all I got every Friday.

And for the record, the Yates coach is a jerk and I'm not trying to defend him.  I'm just saying that too many journalists are trying to create controversies by printing stories about high margins of victory.
"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane

#9 whitelightnin_23

whitelightnin_23

Head Coach

• Members
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

he's running up the score to get noticed...looks like he's getting noticed. I say Reilly's article is appropriate.

what does it teach the kids who are winning?

#10 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

I think this is an extreme case and I'm surprised there hasn't been all out bench clearing brawl...
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#11 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Like I said... Mercy Rules... 1 team still gets a "W", 1 team still gets a "L", but no one is losing by 80, 90, or 100...

Make it 50 points in basketball for highschool games... If you are up by 50 at the end of 2 quarters & or the 3rd quarter... Game... Call it a wrap, everyone goes home, no one's feelings are hurt TOO BAD...

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#12 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Loftin said:

I played on a REALLY bad HS football team my senior year. We were 0-5 in district games(2-8 overall, including losses to teams in lower divisions), and our district included Kilgore and Texas High (one went to state that year, the other the year before). We regularly lost by 40, 50, sometimes even 60 points. At the end, it felt no different than the games we lost by 20.

You think the former Aggie players that were part of 77-0 feel like that game was just like any other loss?

Posted Image

#13 DCAggie

DCAggie

All American

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

Loftin said:

I played on a REALLY bad HS football team my senior year.  We were 0-5 in district games(2-8 overall, including losses to teams in lower divisions), and our district included Kilgore and Texas High (one went to state that year, the other the year before).  We regularly lost by 40, 50, sometimes even 60 points.  At the end, it felt no different than the games we lost by 20.

Good sportsmanship goes both ways.  Players need to learn how to succeed while doing things the right way, but they also need to learn how to handle adversity, no matter how bad or unfair it seems.  I think I handle disappointments in life better than I would have if I had not played football.  I still played hard, learned the gameplan for the week, and gave it all I got every Friday.

And for the record, the Yates coach is a jerk and I'm not trying to defend him.  I'm just saying that too many journalists are trying to create controversies by printing stories about high margins of victory.

I find it hard to believe that getting torched in a record breaking loss that gets all kind of media attention is just another loss.  Also, Lee is pretty bad, I think, but Yates is also running up the score on teams that aren't numb to losing yet.  Anyway, I agree the guy is a jerk, so I don't mean to argue too much, but the controversy already there.  I think there was a fight in one of the Lee games, but I might be confusing that with a local game in my town that almost got called off and was the same week.  There have been shots fired at a Yates game.  Maybe unrelated.

#14 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

Pflugerville Ag said:

You think the former Aggie players that were part of 77-0 feel like that game was just like any other loss?

...and that was an instance of a coach being classy and going out of his way to take his foot off the gas.  If Stoops were like Leach, and kept trying to run it up, he'd have easily won by over 100.  Our guys felt horrible about 77-0, and I doubt 91-0 or 118-0 would have been much worse.  Our guys were physically and mentally beaten and will look back in horror at that game for the rest of their lives.

#15 phatbc

phatbc

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Trying to get to 100 points in a crushing of Westbury, his players intentionally fouled to stop the clock.
That's what I have the biggest issue with, and the full court pressing all game

#16 ridersfan06

ridersfan06

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

I was at  Jesuit basketball game last season where they won by over 60 points. In the 2nd half, they half court pressed once the other team got over the half court line.  Every shot that Jesuit took went in and every shot the other team took rimmed out.  The Jesuit coach played every player on the team about the same amount.  The leading scorer in that game was a kid that did not usually score that much during the season.  Sometimes the ball just bounces your way and there is nothing you can do about it.

#17 whitelightnin_23

whitelightnin_23

Head Coach

• Members
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

ridersfan06 said:

I was at  Jesuit basketball game last season where they won by over 60 points. In the 2nd half, they half court pressed once the other team got over the half court line.  Every shot that Jesuit took went in and every shot the other team took rimmed out.  The Jesuit coach played every player on the team about the same amount.  The leading scorer in that game was a kid that did not usually score that much during the season.  Sometimes the ball just bounces your way and there is nothing you can do about it.

that's great man...:gig:

#18 legelegel

legelegel

Oklahoma City

• White Supporter
  • 7,115 posts
  • Location35°28′56.28″N 97°32′6.72″W

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:44 AM

http://www.chron.com...so/6800394.html

This is an article on the game that the scoring record was broke and Coach Wise side of the story. Sounds to me like Yates needs to step up and play better competition than to use the excuse that his reserves should not be told not to let up on the gas.

Does Yates recruit these kids citywide?

I bet his last name is not thought to be appropriate in some circles when his mentality and style of basketball comes to play.

Posted Image

Edited by legelegel, 12 March 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:20 AM

ridersfan06 said:

The Jesuit coach played every player on the team about the same amount. The leading scorer in that game was a kid that did not usually score that much during the season. Sometimes the ball just bounces your way and there is nothing you can do about it.

Here is the difference b/w Jesuit and Yates...Yates has 8, yes 8 players that have signed D1 scholarships from next year.

Posted Image

#20 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Didn't know until this morning that Nic Wise who played against us for Arizona is the son of the Yates coach.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users