13 replies to this topic

#1 jagowar

jagowar

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

Saw this on 60 mins last night....  was a really good story and hopefully somebody in the ath dept was watching and can keep an eye on their talent.....  seems they have a work ethic most people in the states would not tolerate these days.

http://www.cbsnews.c...ated;photovideo

Really wish they had played up the tsunami angle more.... where was clooney and his telethon (and all the other folks) when a US territory was having a major disaster?  There was very little news coverage of it from what I can remember (I had completely forgotten about it until the story)
"Pretty women make you buy beer. Ugly women make you drink beer." -Al Bundy-

#2 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

It's not a secret.  Look at schools like USC, Oregon and Hawaii.  They've been thriving with Samoan players, particularly on defense.
"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane
"We don't believe in moral victories" - Chris Walker

#3 PinetarAg

PinetarAg

All American

• Members
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

jagowar said:

Saw this on 60 mins last night.... was a really good story and hopefully somebody in the ath dept was watching and can keep an eye on their talent..... seems they have a work ethic most people in the states would not tolerate these days.

http://www.cbsnews.c...ated;photovideo

Really wish they had played up the tsunami angle more.... where was clooney and his telethon (and all the other folks) when a US territory was having a major disaster? There was very little news coverage of it from what I can remember (I had completely forgotten about it until the story)

Great story, but I think the telethon comment is unfair...it really doesn't compare.  Income for Somoa is $4000, population 65,000, and 34 dead all according to the video.

Haiti has over 10 million people, with 10's of thousands dead, and an income of about $800.  Haiti is one of the poorest contries in the world, and for all places for the eathquake to hit was terrible.

I'm sure there was US aid since it iis a territory, with the world helping Haiti wouldn't be able to do anything.

#4 legelegel

legelegel

Oklahoma City

• White Supporter
  • 7,115 posts
  • Location35°28′56.28″N 97°32′6.72″W

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Loftin said:

It's not a secret.  Look at schools like USC, Oregon and Hawaii.  They've been thriving with Samoan players, particularly on defense.

I wonder if they would consider an inland school where they can't see or be near the ocean on a day to day basis? ;)

Posted Image

#5 legelegel

legelegel

Oklahoma City

• White Supporter
  • 7,115 posts
  • Location35°28′56.28″N 97°32′6.72″W

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Here's part of an ESPN article that appears to have been written back in May of 2009.

There are approximately 500,000 Samoans in the world, only half of whom come in contact with American football. Yet more than 200 play Division I college ball.

Every Pac-10 team will have at least one Samoan player on its roster this season, most with two or more. Teams as diverse as Tennessee, Nebraska, BYU, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Western Kentucky have Samoan players.

An estimated 28 Samoans will be on NFL rosters this year, at least six of whom were born or lived on The Rock.

Four Samoans were selected in the first four rounds of the NFL draft a month ago. Nebraska's Toniu Fonoti (second round, San Diego) and UNLV's Anton Palepoi (second round, Seattle) were both born in American Samoa.

It has been estimated that a Samoan boy is 40 times more likely to reach the NFL than a boy growing up in the United States.

"It's the sport we were born to play," said University of Washington defensive lineman Tui Alailefaleula, a native of American Samoa.

"Football is the game where we can reach our goals and help our families."
http://espn.go.com/g...27/1387562.html

Posted Image

#6 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

legelegel said:

I wonder if they would consider an inland school where they can't see or be near the ocean on a day to day basis? ;)

Brigham Young, Utah, and Utah State all have their share of somoan and tongan players.  Last time I looked they were a pretty long ways from the ocean, but then the west coast is due to fall off in the pacific soon so perhaps they're counting on Utah being "oceanside" soon.

#7 Loftin

Loftin

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Our own Misi Tupe was born in American Samoa, but didn't play football until his freshman year of HS in Utah.  Here's a writeup on his background:

http://www.voiceofto...d=62&Itemid=199

Here's an interesting excerpt that really relates to the original topic of this thread:

Foliaki, too, is a former Juco transfer, but also started a piece of history that Misi has continued:  Foliaki became the first Polynesian to become the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year after the 2004 season, followed by fellow Polynesian CJ Ah-You of Oklahoma in 2005, and last year was Misi Tupe.  So for the first time in its history, the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year for the past three years have been Polynesians, and they're all Junior College transfers.  

"I know during the game that I get stronger as I get the ball more. It's wearing down the defense."  -Jorvorskie Lane
"We don't believe in moral victories" - Chris Walker

#8 jbb1366

jbb1366

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

For some reason a lot of Somoans and Tongans are Mormon, that's why Utah, Utah St, and BYU are popular with them.  And also why Misi was so old relative to other college players... those 2 year Mormon missionary trips.
Gig 'Em

#9 phatbc

phatbc

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

Yeah I knew a family from Micronesia that were Mormon.  They must make many mission trips out there to the pacific isles

#10 txags92

txags92

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

I hope we sign a bunch of them just so we can listen to Dave South trying to pronounce their names...

#11 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

txags92 said:

I hope we sign a bunch of them just so we can listen to Dave South trying to pronounce their names...

Lol...

After a while I think even he would give up & just say something like...

He takes the snap from him, and passes it to the other guy

Or just call out Jersey numbers.. Lol...

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#12 txags92

txags92

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

He'd start pretending not to see #s just to make Elmendorf pronounce the name when he corrects him.

Dave S.: The QB drops back...looking...SACKED!  By....who is that, did you get a # on who that was?

Dave E.: That was Foliakanamakinoha Dave.

Dave S.: Yep, thats what I thought...

#13 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

:laugh:

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#14 Pflugerville Ag

Pflugerville Ag

Head Coach

• White Supporter
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

legelegel said:

They need to come to A&M.  I have no problem with them taking classes at A&M CC during the spring and summer!
The following is a conversation that took place during P-Ville's Bachelor Party Weekend on June 21, 2003 at 6:30am after Dustin and P-Ville finished a 1.75L of Captain Morgan's.  

P-Ville:  "Dustin, what the hell are you doing?"
Dustin:  "Shut up, I'm trying to turn on Sportscenter!"
P-Ville: "Dustin, dumbass, that's not a TV, that's the dresser."
Dustin:  "Oh shit!"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users