• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#401 CaliHornia

CaliHornia

All American

• Members
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

I don't know why coaches call it, but I hate the shotgun within 3 yards of the endzone.

It's the formation they run the entire drive.  They can't change it at the goalline or it's a giveaway.

I personally hate that we run so much shotgun.  I guess the idea is that it simplifies things for the QB and helps them see the field better.  But I think it stifles your running game.

We talked a lot about it on another thread, but I think this is what hurts our running game.  First, you know we're running it before we run it because there'll be someone in the backfield with McCoy.  Otherwise there almost never is.  Second, your running back gets the ball at a dead stop.  Rather than have the benefit of a head of steam, you have a bull****, slow as hell to develop play where you're getting the ball to be tackled potentially for a loss 5-6 yards back.

But the shotgun really hurts because, when you try to change it up, it's a dead giveaway.  Why would you go under center inside the 10 or so?  To run the ball.  Not to pass.  Otherwise you'd do that they whole way downfield. Therefore if you're under center you're running it.

So because you're so reliant on the shotgun formation to get there, you have to stick with it once you are there.
Posted Image

#402 big monitor

big monitor

Team Captain

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

bottom line is we had missed opportunities and very basic mistakes.  We work for OU next and to correct these HS style mistakes.  Next game we go all out, Von Miller, I introduce you to Alvin Mack
click the videos on the left
http://images.google...lJoHU8Qa_z43zCQ

Edited by big monitor, 08 November 2009 - 07:11 AM.

#403 DCAggie

DCAggie

All American

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

CaliHornia said:

You sacked Hansen 8 times.

How do you do that and still give up over 430 yards in offense?

That really is incredible.

Miller leads the nation by 4 sacks.  Your team is 4th in the country in sacks.  

And you're giving up more yards than any team in the Big12.  How is it that one of the worst defenses in the country is one of the best at getting to the QB?  Is it just me or is that a startling disconnect?

Sacks set up long yardage situations.  You would expect that a team that piled up a lot of them would (a) have a pretty good scoring defense and (b) be pretty good at preventing teams from converting 1st downs.  After all, once you're in a long yardage situation, you become kind of one dimensional.

Are you guys pinning your ears back too often...what's the story?

Well, this is just a hunch, but a lot of CU's yards (and Tech's screens, looking back) came off of draws and the QB scrambling (and either passing or running).  Not sure what the yardage totals are for different types of plays, but those seemed to be the bulk.

We're also vulnerable up the middle.  Our DTs aren't great, and our LBs under Kines don't seem to come into the hole to meet the lead blockers.

#404 Smoky

Smoky

Team Captain

• White Supporter
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

whitelightnin_23 said:

eh, all kickers are girls...

BTHO the liberal buffs! :gig:

Liberal Buffs 1
Conservative Farmers 0

#405 bb-

bb-

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

troll

#406 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

DCAggie said:

Well, this is just a hunch, but a lot of CU's yards (and Tech's screens, looking back) came off of draws and the QB scrambling (and either passing or running). Not sure what the yardage totals are for different types of plays, but those seemed to be the bulk.

We're also vulnerable up the middle. Our DTs aren't great, and our LBs under Kines don't seem to come into the hole to meet the lead blockers.

DC hit on it something with the DT comment.  How many times did one of our edge rushers force the QB to scramble and how many times did he run right past a completely locked up/non penetrating DT?

Ditto on the draw plays.  It seems like our DT's play most of the game within 1 yard of the LOS and within about 18 inches of where they come out of their three point stance. They seem to catch blockers rather than fire off the ball.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#407 DecadePlan

DecadePlan

Team Captain

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

DCAggie said:

Well, this is just a hunch, but a lot of CU's yards (and Tech's screens, looking back) came off of draws and the QB scrambling (and either passing or running). Not sure what the yardage totals are for different types of plays, but those seemed to be the bulk.

We're also vulnerable up the middle. Our DTs aren't great, and our LBs under Kines don't seem to come into the hole to meet the lead blockers.

Great analysis, totally agree DC.  Conversely our LB's aren't reading the plays well.  The DTs were getting slaughtered on the off-tackle runs and the LB's aren't plugging those gaps.  They seem a bit lost out there.

Not sure if this is a matter of recruiting better - or Kines' coaching.  Probably some of both though one beef I cannot normally have against Kines is his handling of linebackers.  I'm a lot more worried that he doesn't have enough of their respect to get them to believe in him.
Texas A&M Classes of '84-'87...I earned this handle! (and use '87 officially since I actually didn't mature all that time):cheers:

#408 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Mezentius said:

DC hit on it something with the DT comment. How many times did one of our edge rushers force the QB to scramble and how many times did he run right past a completely locked up/non penetrating DT?

Ditto on the draw plays. It seems like our DT's play most of the game within 1 yard of the LOS and within about 18 inches of where they come out of their three point stance. They seem to catch blockers rather than fire off the ball.

Seemed to me that by the 3rd quarter a "spy" would have been included to the gameplan at some point in time. I mean the 2ndary (while not all world) seems to be doing better in Man Coverage than zone... So going Man to Man with a spy on the QB might not have been a bad move.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users