• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#361 Vlyrock

Vlyrock

Head Coach

• Administrators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Agreed on the last play.  He shouldn't have come out with under 1:00 to go...  We got lucky JJ got up and walked off the field after that hit.

#362 BAGGIO

BAGGIO

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:44 AM

I will never travel to watch the Aggies play again. We have never won a game I traveled to. Hell, we have never competed in a game I have traveled to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#363 macduff93

macduff93

All American

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

Vlyrock said:

All tonight means is we won't be playing for the National Championship. Conference play starts next week.... We'll be heavy dogs, so we get another shot to surprise some folks.

As upset as I was last night, I agree with you, Vly. Conference play starts next week. Most of the team's weaknesses have been exposed and opponents will take the team lightly. Let's hope the lads are out to prove something to themselves and everyone else. Gig 'em! :gig:

#364 Smoky

Smoky

Team Captain

• White Supporter
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

BAGGIO said:

I will never travel to watch the Aggies play again. We have never won a game I traveled to. Hell, we have never competed in a game I have traveled to.

Now that is something you and I have in common..:gig::gig:

#365 Slotback

Slotback

Graduate Assistant

• Maroon Supporter
  • 7,727 posts
  • LocationOut on the wing.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

BAGGIO said:

Then you and Smoky need to stop traveling to the away games. Ban yourself from that immediately.:cool:
Who Dares Wins.

#366 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Baronvonaggie said:

People said the same thing about Torbush. What works in the dirty South doesnt necessarily work at Texas A&M. I dont mind D's getting beat by a better team. This was something different and ugly. This was a total breakdown of defensive playcalling, a total lack of adjustment, a total collapse of the D.
That is on the D-coordinator and a lessor extent the head coach, if we see another breakdown game like this we'd be fools not to fire the coordinator.

We've had 3 DCs in this program since 2005 or whatever Torbush's last season was. Darnell and Kines both said the same thing after arriving...they have to simplify the defense so our guys can play...does that tell you anything? Maybe the three we had aren't considered in the top 25 of DCs....but the point being, how many DCs would we have to go through before you considered that maybe it also has alot to do with the players and getting the right guys back in the system? We've had one true Sherman class come through to correct the problems left to his staff after the departure of the '07 staff. I think Slotback has already given you several tangible and real signs of improvement to point to: better tackling, sacks way up, linebackers making plays....yet you ignore them. We had quite a few 3 and outs on a team that had 320 pound OLinemen, fast RBs and a very good WR corps. And for the better part of the game we had their run game shut down.

Your assessment of "total breakdown" holds little water. This was a D made up mostly of fish and sophomore DLs, LBs and DBs that was left on the field too long because the O couldn't generate or sustain drives and against a fast and strong Arkansas team.

Edited by dragonag517, 04 October 2009 - 09:55 AM.

#367 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

dragonag517 said:

And for the better part of the game we had their run game shut down.

This had me happy about the direction the defense is headed & what these Soph's & Fish could turn into.

Also if what has been reported is true about McMillian taking over possibly once Kines retires in a year or two or three, I think the transition will be easy as opposed to going from a 4-3, to a 4-2-5, to a 4-3 again, & then to a 3-4 hybrid. There will be some consistency there & that is something defense hasn't had since RC was fired.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#368 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

When you have to have a roster out to keep up with new comers no defense then that tells you there is youth.

I will tell you that I don't think the D played slow and I haven't been able to say that in a lot of years.  They just played young...not only from some assignment flubs but also frmo a wearing down/not being as physical piece.

Kines said it would be a work in progress...that they'd run the wrong direction at times but that they would be hauling ass while doing it...ok maybe an amalgomation of Kines and Sherman quotes...

bottomline I saw guys flying to the ball all night or at least trying too...and here is a quiz to let everyone know how young we are on D...

Von is obviously the best player on defense...the next 10 I bet are underclassmen right now...and many of them are LB's.  

Even after the drubbing I still see the ship as turning in the right direction.

We've all seen blowouts where the team quit...was totally outmatched physically...etc...
Saturday night we were outmatched by a more experienced/physical team because 16 of our top 30 players were playing on Friday nights last year...
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

#369 12th man fan

12th man fan

All Conference

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

These kids will be awesome in a year or two.  Right now they are simply young.

#370 AWolf02

AWolf02

All American

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Mezentius said:

and here is a quiz to let everyone know how young we are on D...

Von is obviously the best player on defense...the next 10 I bet are underclassmen right now...and many of them are LB's.  

Even after the drubbing I still see the ship as turning in the right direction.

We've all seen blowouts where the team quit...was totally outmatched physically...etc...
Saturday night we were outmatched by a more experienced/physical team because 16 of our top 30 players were playing on Friday nights last year...

Where was the quiz part?

#371 Burnetaggie99

Burnetaggie99

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

We are young but still can win 7 games with this team. We will be in a bowl at the end of the year. This team overall is better than Fran's second year team that went 7-5 and made it to the Cotton Bowl. That team was better on the O - Line but didn't have the overall speed and skill players this teams has.

#372 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

AWolf02 said:

Where was the quiz part?

Should have made that more clear.  I meant to say, "here is a quiz, name the top 10 players on the defense and then look at their classification and position."

#373 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

Burnetaggie99 said:

We are young but still can win 7 games with this team. We will be in a bowl at the end of the year. This team overall is better than Fran's second year team that went 7-5 and made it to the Cotton Bowl. That team was better on the O - Line but didn't have the overall speed and skill players this teams has.

I agree...especially on defense.

#374 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

Mezentius said:

Should have made that more clear. I meant to say, "here is a quiz, name the top 10 players on the defense and then look at their classification and position."

You could have said look at the 11 starters & the result would be pretty close to being the same.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#375 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Pumchavas28 said:

You could have said look at the 11 starters & the result would be pretty close to being the same.

You are indeed correct, but my thought is that (especially with the LB's/Jack positions) is that there may be a guy in the top 10 who doesn't start because of a better guy in front of him...

But its a great point...I bet half our defense couldn't vote in the last Presidential Election...

#376 AWolf02

AWolf02

All American

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

Mezentius said:

You are indeed correct, but my thought is that (especially with the LB's/Jack positions) is that there may be a guy in the top 10 who doesn't start because of a better guy in front of him...

But its a great point...I bet half our defense couldn't vote in the last Presidential Election...

I bet 3/4 of the team couldnt vote in the last election.

#377 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

It was a figure of speech ya know ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users