#461 Dustin00whoop

Dustin00whoop

Head Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 21,072 posts
  • LocationPflugerville

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Vlyrock said:

I was at the game.  Our defense looked flat early.  It wasn't until about 4:00 left in the 2nd quarter that they looked like they were playing with any emotion.  Also, our offensive line had a ton of false start penalties.  It wasn't as much as just not knowing the snap count...Utah State would shift their line left or right all at once and that's typically when we would jump.  Either we weren't watching the ball, or they had a linebacker or DLine guy barking out a command (which simulates the snap count) to tell them when to shift.  If it's the latter, that's not legal and A&M should've talked to the refs.

Dustin, typically, the most improvement is from week 1 to 2, but we were off in week 2, so I don't think you can use that as a good judgment.  Essentially, we had to start over again after having a week off.  I want to see how this team improves going into our first set of consecutive games.

I disagree....you had an extra week to heal up any bumps & bruises from the first game along with an extra week to fix all the stuff you screwed up in Week 1.  We clearly took a huge step backwards yesterday which was the problem I had last year...not getting better from week to week.

#462 The Massacre

The Massacre

Assistant Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Dustin00whoop said:

We clearly took a huge step backwards yesterday which was the problem I had last year...not getting better from week to week.

i'm not sure that we took a huge step backwards this week.  we were bad last game and beat up on a terrible opponent.  we seem like we were still bad this week and a better (although still weak as balls) opponent put up more points on us.

my prediction didn't change after this game, i still think we'll win 3-4 games.
"if we go 4-0 in our last 4 games of this season, i will be so excited that i will never post another negative comment about A&M football on this site again."

#463 The Massacre

The Massacre

Assistant Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

wow. focusing on the numbers is even worse...

we gave up 521 total yards???
334 passing yards???
and 187 m'fuggin' rushing yards???

that is TERRIBLE defense.  holy geez.
"if we go 4-0 in our last 4 games of this season, i will be so excited that i will never post another negative comment about A&M football on this site again."

#464 The Massacre

The Massacre

Assistant Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Pumchavas28 said:

Lets keep some things in perspective here... Utah State (before they played A&M) pushed a Utah team that is better than 3/4 of BCS teams across the country to include A&M right now.

For the most part, that same Utah team that until today had the longest winning streak & had destroyed the powerful Alabama Crimson Tide...

Winning record or not, but Utah State has now played Utah & A&M & pushed em both on the road (in both games). Why anyone would think this game would be pretty just because of what happened against UNM or for the simple fact that were A&M & that's just the way it should be, I don't know.

A&M is NOT on that level yet, where like tu, they have the veteran leadership to just put a team away & just turn it on when they want to like tu did last week at Wyoming.

That is the only reality check I see from this.

A&M will still win 7 games, maybe 8... But of those 7 or 8, I am by no means crazy enough to think that they will all be pretty or even close to being as good as the UNM game.

Also, UNM might be bad, but they are not worse than the Citadel or Texas State, 2 teams that A&M had a harder time against, at home, under the old staff. So I think that them being the worst team we have played in over 5 years might be a stretch. Especially considering the baylor team A&M put 70 on in Fran's 1st year or the SMU team A&M tore apart as well.

The Ags have a lot to learn, and as corny as it sounds, A&M needs someone like a Tebow or McCoy to do one of those gay as hell speeches to the team & put it on them to win.

I don't see JJ doing it, it's just not his personality (from what I can tell), but that is what A&M needs... Right now, A&M doesn't have that guy that is the "HEART & SOUL" of the team. They have IMPORTANT players, but not that guy with the Killer instinct, that guy who is more than just the leader of the Offense or the Defense, but the whole team.. When a team has that, games like this don't happen.

A good example of that is USC & Ohio State... Granted they have better overall talent, but if they had that kind of leader, they wouldn't have lost to Washington or barely beat Navy.

A&M needs that & today was a good example of that more than any other time. No one was there to get in the teams face & really tell em anything similar to what Tebow does in the locker room.

Sherm & the coaches are doing a good job & improvement over last season is evident, but the players at some point in time, will have to take what the coaches are showing them & add on to it & someone will have to become that leader of the team & rally the troops, so to speak.

JMO.

talking about the strength of utah state after the game? ha ha ha too funny.

why did anyone think we'd win handily? i have NO idea, but there were quite a few people on this board since the last week talking about how we are going to do well from here on out based on us beating a TERRIBLE unm team in the first game.

8 wins? there's about as much chance of that happening as me pulling a 3 some with catherine zeta jones and monica bellucci.  ha ha, 8 wins...

i'll give you credit Pum, you've got some optimistic views and definitely try to see the good in situations, but this team is not good at all.  and it remains to be seen whether we have made any progress since last year.

#465 Burnetaggie99

Burnetaggie99

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

I thought utah st ran a very sound spread offense. The coach came from Utah and it was pretty much the Meyer Spread. Their Qb was very mobile and we hadn't seen a mobile QB and it gave us trouble. I thought utah st did a good job of mixing in the run and pass. I though we were not ready for the option because our DE's and LB's look lost put there trying to tackle against the option. Also nobody had containment on their option responsibilities. It looked like our coaches who had 2 weeks to study tape didn't have us ready for this type of offense.

#466 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Massacre, I definitely see progress from last year. While I grant you the OLine isn't where we need it to be they are vastly improved. Our WR crew is getting much better, and how can you not say LB performance has improved? Still making mistakes and have a long way to go but LB play alone would point to improvement. The secondary has a little ways to go yet, and DLine I agree you could make a case may have taken a step back.

At RB, overall I think we're better than we were last year but for reasons beyond the playing field which will translate into better things to come in the future. QB....I don't think we've changed much.

Edited by dragonag517, 20 September 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#467 dragonag517

dragonag517

All Conference

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

Burnetaggie99 said:

I thought utah st ran a very sound spread offense. The coach came from Utah and it was pretty much the Meyer Spread. Their Qb was very mobile and we hadn't seen a mobile QB and it gave us trouble. I thought utah st did a good job of mixing in the run and pass. I though we were not ready for the option because our DE's and LB's look lost put there trying to tackle against the option. Also nobody had containment on their option responsibilities. It looked like our coaches who had 2 weeks to study tape didn't have us ready for this type of offense.

In the first quarter and part of the second I agree with your assessment on the D.  I think we were over persuing because of the speed USU had on offense in their QB and RB and they had big lanes cutting against the flow.  We didn't have anybody staying at home on the back side there for a while.  I'll have to give USU credit though, they had a nifty wrinkle on the option play.  As the QB rolled right he optioned to the RB INSIDE of him rather than running in a "wingman" position to his outside.  It was like a shovel pass except they were doing it with a typical option around the end look to the play.  Pretty ingenious I had never seen that before.  

AND....sorry but I have to give USU huge props as they lined up in a pure no kidding wishbone for one play!  :gig:  LOVED IT!  I think the coach was personally tipping his hat to me in the ultimate retro-football formation!

#468 Burnetaggie99

Burnetaggie99

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

I would of hoped that JJ learned and watched McGee on how to lead this team. McGee was very vocal and could fire up the team with talk and his play.  Maybe some guys like McGee and Tebow just have that trait as men to be natural born leaders. I would hope if JJ dosn't have that at least Tannehill would and he needs to step up and lead this team.

#469 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

The Massacre said:

talking about the strength of utah state after the game? ha ha ha too funny.

why did anyone think we'd win handily? i have NO idea, but there were quite a few people on this board since the last week talking about how we are going to do well from here on out based on us beating a TERRIBLE unm team in the first game.

8 wins? there's about as much chance of that happening as me pulling a 3 some with catherine zeta jones and monica bellucci. ha ha, 8 wins...

i'll give you credit Pum, you've got some optimistic views and definitely try to see the good in situations, but this team is not good at all. and it remains to be seen whether we have made any progress since last year.

All I'm saying is that not every win will be pretty. And yes I believe there will be 7 to 8.

KC said a High School team could beat these teams.. Well looking at A&M's roster, A&M's team is a bunch of Freshmen & 2nd year players with a handfull of veterans. So while I hate to admit it, past a couple of starters & this team is close to a the same Age as a High School team. There are A LOT of 18 & 19 year olds on the roster that are on the 2 Deep. It's a team with a bunch of upside that is obviously better than last seasons team & is far more explosive than probably any team A&M has fielded offensively. The Offense is what A&M will have to hang their hat on.

It's JMO. You don't agree, fine. But when I say 7 to 8 wins, I am not saying that A&M will blow out 7 to 8 teams. Some might be 1 point wins, some might be 10, some might more.. Who knows... It's just a prediction. Judging by your recent track record, I am sure when you say 3 to 4 wins, the 8 or 9 losses you are talking about are probably big losses by 28 or more points... To each his own...

This team is better & at least moving forward.

Who knows how long it will take to get the O'Line to fix their penalty problems... But when they do, man the Offense could be scary good with the way they are moving the ball better than they have under RC & probably better than even early in Reggie's career at A&M.

I'm not going to say that the Defense is going to win too many games for A&M, but hopefully they will improve. The coverage seems to be pretty good, but if Miller isn't getting pressure & the QB's are allowed to sit there, it seems that the 2ndary loses coverage... The LB's also need to learn their assignments better (even though has improved as well).

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#470 Pumchavas28

Pumchavas28

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationWard, AR

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Burnetaggie99 said:

I would of hoped that JJ learned and watched McGee on how to lead this team. McGee was very vocal and could fire up the team with talk and his play. Maybe some guys like McGee and Tebow just have that trait as men to be natural born leaders. I would hope if JJ dosn't have that at least Tannehill would and he needs to step up and lead this team.

Burnet, McGee is one of my favorite players, but he is not on the same level of being a leader like Tebow is. I am not nocking McGee, but he just wasn't.

Tebow gets involved with every part of the team. Not just the offense, & I never saw McGee ever approach the defense or try to inspire them (if he did, I missed it), and lets be honest... While McGee was the QB, it was the defense that needed the most inspiration, but never recieved it from anyone. Jolly, Warren, Bryant, Bennett, Bullitt... None of them ever just got the D together & did anything... Neither did McGee. He would motivate the fans, he would motivate the offense... But the defense, not so much. Like I said, maybe I missed it.

I know you might take all of this the wrong way, but like I said, he is one of my favorite players, I'm just being honest.

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know

that counts." Paul "Bear" Bryant

"A&M Wins Period!!!!!!!!" Pumchavas28

#471 Burnetaggie99

Burnetaggie99

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

McGee was voted as a permanent captain because of his leadership. Many players and former players as well as coaches have gone on record about McGee being a Natural Born Leader. Even Jerry Jones, coach Garrett, and coach Phillips have said this about McGee since being drafted by the Cowboys. I'm not saying McGee is just like Tebow because everybody's differant but Stephen did fire up the Defense here at A&M. One example was when he took on Justin Warren in practice.  My point was that Tebow and McGee have that natural born leadership trait.

#472 KCAggie

KCAggie

Graduate Assistant

• White Supporter
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Pumchavas28 said:

All I'm saying is that not every win will be pretty. And yes I believe there will be 7 to 8.

KC said a High School team could beat these teams.. Well looking at A&M's roster, A&M's team is a bunch of Freshmen & 2nd year players with a handfull of veterans. So while I hate to admit it, past a couple of starters & this team is close to a the same Age as a High School team. There are A LOT of 18 & 19 year olds on the roster that are on the 2 Deep. It's a team with a bunch of upside that is obviously better than last seasons team & is far more explosive than probably any team A&M has fielded offensively. The Offense is what A&M will have to hang their hat on.

It's JMO. You don't agree, fine. But when I say 7 to 8 wins, I am not saying that A&M will blow out 7 to 8 teams. Some might be 1 point wins, some might be 10, some might more.. Who knows... It's just a prediction. Judging by your recent track record, I am sure when you say 3 to 4 wins, the 8 or 9 losses you are talking about are probably big losses by 28 or more points... To each his own...

This team is better & at least moving forward.

Who knows how long it will take to get the O'Line to fix their penalty problems... But when they do, man the Offense could be scary good with the way they are moving the ball better than they have under RC & probably better than even early in Reggie's career at A&M.

I'm not going to say that the Defense is going to win too many games for A&M, but hopefully they will improve. The coverage seems to be pretty good, but if Miller isn't getting pressure & the QB's are allowed to sit there, it seems that the 2ndary loses coverage... The LB's also need to learn their assignments better (even though has improved as well).

Where did I say high school teams would beat our opponents?  I said the best high school team would give New Mexico a run, don't think they would beat them.  I disagree with mass, I do see progress, but enough to get 1 more win in non con and 1 more win in conference play to get us to 6 wins.

#473 Dustin00whoop

Dustin00whoop

Head Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 21,072 posts
  • LocationPflugerville

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Mangan was the lone bright spot on D.  That guy is just a football player.  If he gets his hands on you, 99% of the time, you are going down.

#474 KCAggie

KCAggie

Graduate Assistant

• White Supporter
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

I though Von Miller played well.  He did get 2 sacks.

#475 Dustin00whoop

Dustin00whoop

Head Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 21,072 posts
  • LocationPflugerville

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

KCAggie said:

I though Von Miller played well.  He did get 2 sacks.

The guy is pure speed.  He doesn't seem to have a lot of football instincts to me--hence the reason Featherston played so much again.  Miller is great when it's 3rd & long & you can tell him to just go get the QB.

#476 AWolf02

AWolf02

All American

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Dustin00whoop said:

The guy is pure speed.  He doesn't seem to have a lot of football instincts to me--hence the reason Featherston played so much again.  Miller is great when it's 3rd & long & you can tell him to just go get the QB.

Not entirely true even though I do agree at times it seems like he is just running around and going through the motions. Miller was one of a few players that had been hit with a flu bug that went through the team Wednesday/Thursday. He and 3 others were even kept away from the team friday night during team meal at the hotel.

#477 Dustin00whoop

Dustin00whoop

Head Coach

• Silver Supporter
  • 21,072 posts
  • LocationPflugerville

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

AWolf02 said:

Not entirely true even though I do agree at times it seems like he is just running around and going through the motions. Miller was one of a few players that had been hit with a flu bug that went through the team Wednesday/Thursday. He and 3 others were even kept away from the team friday night during team meal at the hotel.

It was the exact same way in Week 1.

#478 Mezentius

Mezentius

Graduate Assistant

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

In terms of JJ's leadership not being the same style as McGee's...

I'm not saying he's Tom Brady ok but you never see Brady yelling and screaming...I loved McGee's fire, but sometimes even that got to be a little too much (like when getting beat down in Austin running after a tu defender after the defender makes a play).

Everyone has their own leadership style.  I mean it's ok for coaches to have different styles...Tony Dungy anyone?  But QB's all have to be this salty...get in the face of everyone personality.
I hide, I seek, I go and I find
Truth in a fable, belief in a rhyme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users